Thursday, October 2, 2014

Point of View from a New Student


Although I have gone to Calvary in previous years, I was newly introduced to the high school life and thought it would be a great time to share thoughts. I struggled with my middle school life and often felt not

involved with good friends or neglected. In these past few weeks I can already tell that this will be a wonderful year. On my first day of school I was warmly welcomed by my classmates, even though most of them haven’t seen me since third grade. I was involved with their routine immediately and they slowly began to ask me questions about myself and how I was adjusting.

My first retreat was the most exciting for me because it was a chance to meet my class and find out their personalities and similarities to me. The first day I was very excited to go into the new gym and headed that way with many of my freshman friends. As I walked in, there were many older students playing a game of basketball. I realized that they had the only basketball and walked away sadly. But before I could leave, Gage, a senior, asked me to come and join the game. Instead of putting us down, he was complimenting us, showing us what to do, and making sure that whoever wanted to be part of the game would be able to.

I was happy to find out that the school had a choir and got immediately involved in that class. I am able to sing and be recognized for my voice no matter how old I am. The students in choir have been very encouraging and I am very grateful to Mrs. Dickson and the choir for explaining to me how things work at Calvary.

Cross country has been an interest of mine in the past year, so I was also very excited to learn that Calvary had a team and made arrangements to join. I went to my first practice and was immediately taken in by the cross team. They talked to me like I was a person that they had known for a long time. This was amazing to me because I felt like an important person, something I have to say I hadn’t felt in a long time. Special thanks to Jordan, Nick, Alec, Brendan, Abby, and the coaches, for being there on the first day. I will start worship team in the next few weeks and this would not have been possible had it not been for the support of the many people who encouraged me in these times. Thank you to all of the students and teachers who make up this school. You have made this an awesome beginning of the year.

Breece Hammond, Freshman

No comments:

Post a Comment